Things to see and do AADSM 2019
The Glidewell team is getting set to head off to San Antonio TX for the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine meeting AADSM. I have been attending these meetings for over 20 yrs as an attendee and as a vendor at the product expo. I have always found the meeting to be informative and professional.
The speakers are particularly interesting because they always focus on topics that are practical in the day to day identification and treatment of sleep disordered breathing in the clinical setting. It is this focus on tips and techniques that can be implemented immediately after the meeting that makes AADSM different from other programs.
If you have an interest in sleep apnea dentistry click here to for information on attending the meeting and to Register.
“The American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine AADSM was established in 1991, the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM) is the only non-profit national professional society dedicated exclusively to the practice of dental sleep medicine. The AADSM is the leading national organization representing dentists who treat sleep-disordered breathing, which includes obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and snoring, with oral appliance therapy (OAT).”
Organizers expect that the 2019 AADSM Annual Meeting will have over 1,200 dental sleep medicine professionals at the San Antonio TX meeting. One of my favorite aspects of this conference is the diversity of the attendees The meeting is open to dentists, auxiliaries, physicians and researchers the unifying thread is an interest in treating sleep-related breathing disorders.
I took a look at the program and picked out a number of topics and speakers for talks I will be attending. This is my list:
- Bruxism – Frank Labbezoo DDS, PHD
- Relationship between GERD and Sleep Apnea – Sue Harding MD
- Dentistry, Public Health and Sleep – A brave new world – Michael Simmons DMD
- Consumer Sleep Technology: Balancing New Technology with Evidence Based Medicine and Clinical Guidelines- Seema Khosla MD
- Oral Appliance Definitions, Function, Features, Selection, Delivery and Titration – John Viviano DDS
- Predicting Success for Oral Appliance Therapy- Gail Demko DMD
- AASSM Standards for Treating Sleep Related Breathing Disorders – Arthur Feigenbaum DMD
- Noridian & CGS, Medicare DMEMAC – Cindy White and Michael Hanna
San Antonio TX is one of Americas great convention cities. I have personally been attending meetings here for most of my career. I have picked a few things that are great to do when not at the meeting.
San Antonio River Walk
I try to do the hop on hop off buses in every town I go to, I usually only have a few hours to see the town. This format delivers an overview of the city and a way to pick out a few spots to come back to if time allows.
You’ll get to see all the best of San Antonio, from the Riverwalk to Southtown–it’s the best way to get acquainted with the city and take notes of all the places you think are worth a visit.
Along the way, professional guides provide informative and entertaining narration about the city’s most significant landmarks, neighborhoods, and popular spots.
Enjoy the freedom to hop-on and off at any of the stops to explore some of the popular attractions as you go.
The Alamo is a must see in San Antonio. Most conference attendees will set aside an hour or two to see the city. The Alamo is a quick stop but full of history and worth a short visit..
Located in the heart of San Antonio, this former Spanish church-turned-fortress serves as testament to those who sacrificed their life in the Battle of the Alamo following a 13-day siege in 1836, a pivotal moment in the Texas Revolution that helped inspire many Texans to join the fight against the much larger Mexican Army and the exact location where Texan troops achieved independence to the shouts of “Remember the Alamo!” after months of fighting.
San Antonio River Walk
The River Walk is the center of the San antonio Conference experience. Not really a destination. More of conference constant.
Also known as el Paseo del Rio, the San Antonio River Walk area is an area of town defined by the San Antonio River lined with shops, restaurants, picturesque urban gardens, and many points of interest.
The pedestrian walkway is removed from the busy downtown streets allowing the area to feel like a remote sanctuary.
If you stop by the booth and ask about any of the subjects below you will receive 1 or more of the following free gifts.
- A hearty handshake and a welcome greeting
- Free literature on the product of your choice
- A free sample Silent Nite sl, EMA or nightguard for patient demos
- A personalized one on one demonstration of the product of your choice
The Erkoform 3D™ Motion with Occluform-3® is the first Erkodent thermoforming unit to feature an automated thermoforming process. It is designed to fabricate various dental appliances such as bite plates, fluoride and bleaching trays, sports mouthguards, and orthodontic appliances. It uses a vacuum technique to thermoform and imprint the opposing bite for optimum fit. This unit includes a touchless temperature control, reserve vacuum, preprogrammed settings, and a touchpanel screen for simple program operation. No external compressed air supply is required.
The machine’s function and technical data is equivalent to the Erkoform 3D, save for an improved touchpanel and operating concept. The automatic thermoforming process makes it unnecessary to manually move the hot foil from the heating unit to the model, and to thermoform. Simply position the model and initiate the heating cycle, effectively increasing productivity and reducing costs.
Purchase of the Erkoform 3D Motion includes a material samples kit, step-by-step technique manual, and an easy-to-follow technique DVD.
- No external compressed air supply required
- Easy operation; Erkodent foil heating temperatures and cooling times preprogrammed; custom programs easily added
- Touchless temperature sensor for accurate determination of the actual thermoforming material temperature
- No preheating time
- Sudden vacuum, built up before thermoforming process
- More space for higher models
- Perpendicular pre-stretching and forming produces results of even foil thicknesses
- Completely accessible model during the heating process
- Practical one-hand foil fixation for foil thicknesses ranging from 0 to 5 mm
- Complete with granules and materials trial pack
Questions for the Team
- How many different dental appliances can be made with the Erkoform?
- What is the average cost per arch?
- How difficult is it to train staff on the use of this machine?
Sleep-disordered breathing (i.e., snoring and sleep apnea) affects about one in four of the patients you will see today — and the condition can significantly impact overall health and quality of life. The dental solution for sleep-disordered breathing is mandibular advancement with an oral appliance. With over 400,000 appliances delivered, the Silent Nite® sl is a tried-and-true solution for your patient.
Helping patients achieve a deeper, more satisfying night’s sleep, the Silent Nite® sl is flexible, thin and comfortable, and it exhibits documented clinical success in mitigating or preventing the disruptive, unhealthy effects of snoring and sleep apnea. Silent Nite sl positions the lower jaw forward using Slide-Link connectors that are attached to upper and lower appliances. These appliances are composed of a soft inner layer with a hard, durable outer layer, both of which are BPA-free. The connectors hold the jaw in a therapeutic position as determined by the dentist. Providing adjustability, the connectors are easily interchangeable if the lower jaw needs to be repositioned.
This affordable intraoral appliance is indicated for patients with a minimum of eight teeth per jaw and a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or less. Each Silent Nite sl case includes extra connectors, in various sizes. In addition, as of May 1, 2019, each case includes an AM Aligner, a positioner that aids patients in exercising and realigning the jaw after nighttime mandibular advancement, helping prevent malocclusion issues by reestablishing proper bite.
- More than 400,000 Silent Nite sl appliances delivered
- Appliance is available as an optional “One for Home, One for Travel” two-pack to help ensure patients never go untreated, whether home or away
- Case includes an AM Aligner and extra connectors
- Treats snoring and sleep apnea quickly and effectively
AM Aligner is a product of Airway Management Inc
Questions for the team
- How does a Provisional Mandibular Advancement Device PMAD help me build my sleep practice?
- Does Silent Nite sl qualify for medical reimbursement?
- What are the contra indications if any, for treatment with a Silent Nite sl?