Here’s what you should know about NADSM 2020
The North American Dental Sleep Medicine Symposium (NADSM) is one of my favorite dental sleep conferences.
I added this meeting to my schedule 2 years ago, it was a great choice. I will be with the Glidewell Dental team again in 2020, what I have found at the NADSM is really impressive.
The overall vibe of the meeting is collegial and relaxed. The speakers and the topics are timely and in tune with the needs of the dentist who is introducing sleep therapy to her/his practice.
I rank this meeting so highly because of the quality of the academic program and secondarily the quality of the attendees in the audience. This meeting happens so early in the year that every speaker and luminary in dental sleep medicine drops in to learn, network and prospect. It is not difficult to have a late night discussion about dental treatment for sleep apnea over an adult beverage on the beach (who doesn’t love that?).
The dates and times of the meeting are Friday February 14th, 2020 the meeting will run from 8am to 5pm , Saturday February 15th 2020 the meeting runs from 8am to 1pm to give the attendees time to get home and relax on Sunday so they can be ready to hit the ground running on Monday morning.
The location is great. Who doesn’t love Clearwater Florida in February? The hotel is affordable and high quality and the atmosphere is relaxed with lots of opportunity for networking. As compelling as they are, those are not the reasons I rank this meeting so highly.
This year there are 13 speakers on the program each of them are nationally recognized and are actively engaged in treating or supporting the treatment of sleep apnea and snoring in the dental office. Click here you will recognize their names.
As far as specific agendas/topics, that information won’t be finalized/published for another 60 days. With that said, some general topics will include:
- pediatric OSA
- medical billing
- establishing need for sleep test
- DSM is a blue ocean
- appliance selection roundtable
- medical billing roundtable
- separate team/auxiliary track
- anatomy review via CBCT
- TMD & SDB correlation
List of a Few World Class Speakers
Practical usable information that will inform the dentist who is considering practicing sleep apnea dentistry or airway dentistry or sleep dentistry (the practice that goes by many names…). The practical use it Monday morning kind of information that we all seek.
The conference is organized by Jason Tierney and the team at DS3X so by nature it is a company with an intense focus on growing access to sleep apnea treatment in the dental office.
DS3X is a company that helps dentists with the 4 Steps of Education, Coaching, Software, and Support needed to efficiently implement the 4 Pillars of Dental Sleep Medicine Success; Screening, Testing, Treating, and Billing. Who better to develop a conference like this to advance the cause of the dentist treating sleep apnea and snoring.
Things to see and do in Clearwater FL
Best Local Restaurants Near the Beach
A mainstay of Clearwater Beach and famous for its classic grouper sandwiches, Frenchy’s Rockaway Grill is the largest of the four Frenchy’s establishments in the area. The open-air restaurant offers the perfect mix of Floribbean food, beach views, colorful rum drinks, and live local bands.
Another hotspot located in the heart of all the action on Clearwater Beach, Palm Pavilion Beachside Grill & Bar (pictured above) is where you can catch spectacular gulf sunsets, sip on tropical cocktails, nosh on coconut shrimp, and listen to nightly live music on the deck.
For the best weekend brunch in town, head to either Island Way Grill on the Clearwater harbor or Clear Sky Beachside Café in Clearwater Beach. Both are local favorites where the Bloody Marys and mimosas always go down nice and easy.
Best Beach Bars and Local Brews
There’s an eclectic collection of bars in the area that will quench any thirst and fuel any dance party. The spring break crowd loves Shephard’s Tiki Beach Bar, where there’s a waterfront concert stage for live performances ranging from club-style DJs to laid-back reggae bands.
Situated atop the 10th floor of Clearwater Beach’s Pier House 60 Hotel, Jimmy’s Crow’s Nest (pictured above) is the perfect place to go for great views and cold brews. At sunset they celebrate by ringing a bell and passing around shots.
Local brewery Pair O’Dice Brewing Co. is owned by former Anheuser-Busch engineers. They use 300 pounds of strawberries, grown locally in Plant City, for their popular Lucky Lucy Strawberry Blonde. Hang out in the tasting room and sip on a craft beer.
Where to Stay
With plenty of hotel options for nearly every style of traveler, here are a few great places to stay in Clearwater.
Book a room at the Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa (pictured above), and you’ll be close to the nightly sunset celebrations at Pier 60 as well as the pedestrian-friendly Beach Walk. The hotel sits on a stunning stretch of sand and most rooms have either beach or harbor views.
As it turns out the Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa is the host hotel for the NADSM meeting.
Where to find me at the NADSM
If you stop by the booth and ask about any of the subjects below you will receive 1 or more of the following free gifts.
- A hearty handshake and a welcome greeting
- Free literature on the product of your choice
- A free sample Silent Nite sl, EMA or nightguard for patient demos
- A personalized one on one demonstration of the product of your choice
The Erkoform 3D™ Motion with Occluform-3® is the first Erkodent thermoforming unit to feature an automated thermoforming process. It is designed to fabricate various dental appliances such as bite plates, fluoride and bleaching trays, sports mouthguards, and orthodontic appliances. It uses a vacuum technique to thermoform and imprint the opposing bite for optimum fit. This unit includes a touchless temperature control, reserve vacuum, preprogrammed settings, and a touchpanel screen for simple program operation. No external compressed air supply is required.
The machine’s function and technical data is equivalent to the Erkoform 3D, save for an improved touchpanel and operating concept. The automatic thermoforming process makes it unnecessary to manually move the hot foil from the heating unit to the model, and to thermoform. Simply position the model and initiate the heating cycle, effectively increasing productivity and reducing costs.
Purchase of the Erkoform 3D Motion includes a material samples kit, step-by-step technique manual, and an easy-to-follow technique DVD.
- No external compressed air supply required
- Easy operation; Erkodent foil heating temperatures and cooling times preprogrammed; custom programs easily added
- Touchless temperature sensor for accurate determination of the actual thermoforming material temperature
- No preheating time
- Sudden vacuum, built up before thermoforming process
- More space for higher models
- Perpendicular pre-stretching and forming produces results of even foil thicknesses
- Completely accessible model during the heating process
- Practical one-hand foil fixation for foil thicknesses ranging from 0 to 5 mm
- Complete with granules and materials trial pack
Questions for the Team
- How many different dental appliances can be made with the Erkoform?
- What is the average cost per arch?
- How difficult is it to train staff on the use of this machine?
Sleep-disordered breathing (i.e., snoring and sleep apnea) affects about one in four of the patients you will see today — and the condition can significantly impact overall health and quality of life. The dental solution for sleep-disordered breathing is mandibular advancement with an oral appliance. With over 400,000 appliances delivered, the Silent Nite® sl is a tried-and-true solution for your patient.
Helping patients achieve a deeper, more satisfying night’s sleep, the Silent Nite® sl is flexible, thin and comfortable, and it exhibits documented clinical success in mitigating or preventing the disruptive, unhealthy effects of snoring and sleep apnea. Silent Nite sl positions the lower jaw forward using Slide-Link connectors that are attached to upper and lower appliances. These appliances are composed of a soft inner layer with a hard, durable outer layer, both of which are BPA-free. The connectors hold the jaw in a therapeutic position as determined by the dentist. Providing adjustability, the connectors are easily interchangeable if the lower jaw needs to be repositioned.
This affordable intraoral appliance is indicated for patients with a minimum of eight teeth per jaw and a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or less. Each Silent Nite sl case includes extra connectors, in various sizes. In addition, as of May 1, 2019, each case includes an AM Aligner, a positioner that aids patients in exercising and realigning the jaw after nighttime mandibular advancement, helping prevent malocclusion issues by reestablishing proper bite.
- More than 400,000 Silent Nite sl appliances delivered
- Appliance is available as an optional “One for Home, One for Travel” two-pack to help ensure patients never go untreated, whether home or away
- Case includes an AM Aligner and extra connectors
- Treats snoring and sleep apnea quickly and effectively
AM Aligner is a product of Airway Management Inc
Questions for the team
- How does a Provisional Mandibular Advancement Device PMAD help me build my sleep practice?
- Does Silent Nite sl qualify for medical reimbursement?
- What are the contra indications if any, for treatment with a Silent Nite sl?
Oasys Hinge Appliance by Glidewell Dental Lab, for the treatment of Mild to Moderate OSA
Oasys Hinge Appliance By Glidewell Dental Lab
The OASYS Hinge Appliance is a mandibular repositioning device that engages the patient’s upper and lower dentition and can be adjusted by a trained dentist to hold the patients jaw in a protrusive position. Medical literature supports the use of these appliances to activate the muscles and ligaments of the upper airway to support a patent airway during sleep.
The OASYS hinge appliance by Glidewell Dental Lab functions to:
- Act as a mandibular repositioner
- Hold the tongue out of the patients airway
- Allow mouth breathing to occur, if required.
- Allow the patient to open their mouth to drink water, talk or take medication
The OASYS hinge appliance by Glidewell Dental Lab is designed to achieve these functions with the following goals:
- Maintain maximize the intraoral volume.
- Minimize the force on the teeth.
- Have no components that extend extra orally through the lips.
- To reduce upper airway resistance.
THE OASYS HINGE APPLIANCE BY GLIDEWELL DENTAL LAB REDUCES THE FORCES ON THE TEETH BY DESIGN.
MAXIMAL INTRAORAL VOLUME
The OASYS hinge appliance by Glidewell Dental Lab , maintains maximal tongue space by positioning the connectors and adjustment components outside of the dental arch leaving the palate and anterior oral space completely free for the tongue to position itself up and forward. There is usually even an open space for the tip of the tongue to go between the incisor teeth.
Questions for the team
- How is the OASYS hinge appliance by Glidewell Dental Lab different from the Herbst Hinge appliance available from other labs?
- Does the OASYS hinge appliance by Glidewell Dental Lab meet PDAC guidelines for Medicare reimbursement?
- What are the contra indications if any, for treatment with a OASYS hinge appliance by Glidewell Dental Lab?